A black kidney grille is an essential accessory for the BMW F30. The stock silver and chrome grille aren’t very nice to look at; it makes the car look a bit too pedestrian and doesn’t convey the true aggressive looks of the F30 3 Series. Plus, chrome starts to look dated fast.
Whether your F30 grille is scratched or you’re just tired of it, you can easily replace it with a matte black or glossy black kidney grille. There are plenty of options on the market, with various designs, such as double slat or single slat.
To help you choose the right grille for your BMW F30, we’ll recommend five outstanding options for aftermarket black kidney grilles. Take look below :
Black Kidney Grilles for BMW F30 3 Series
1. BMW F30 Gloss Black Grille
- Double slat for a sportier look resembling the BMW M3
- Gloss Black color gives the front of the car a unique look
- High-quality ABS plastic for durability
This grille was engineered and developed with OEM standards as the framework. It contains 100% non-recycled plastic (ABS), providing a durable construction with strong tabs and clips. Each grille slat and the outer ring has a UV finish, ensuring a product with superb paint quality.
Once it’s installed with sturdy tabs and clips, the grille will be a seamless fit, with an OEM-like fit. This grille looks and feels like a premium product and is an ideal match for your F30.
We consider a gloss black grille such as this one a must-have aesthetic mod for any BMW F30, as it offers enhanced front-end looks for a relatively low cost. Another accessory that would be an incredible pair to the black grille is a front lip.
2. BMW F30 Matte Black Kidney Grille (Double Slats)
- Double slat grille for improved looks
- Matte black color gives the front of the vehicle a unique look
- Non-recycled ABS material makes it a long-lasting accessory
Don’t look any further if you’re looking for a matte black grille for your F30. This is another model manufactured by SnAF, and the matte black color will make your car look stunning.
Not only does it create a softer look, but it’s also easy to maintain. With many cleansers specifically designed for matte black, removing any stains or other imperfections from your grille can be a simple task. Just make sure to use a product without harsh chemicals or fillers, and don’t clean with an abrasive brush.
Another benefit of this double-slat matte grille is its ability to conceal scratches. Contrary to popular opinion, matte grills aren’t notorious for their susceptibility to scratching. For example, the micro-marring caused by the poor washing techniques you usually see on other grills isn’t an issue with this model. Even if some tiny scratches occur, they typically aren’t noticeable due to the dark surface.
The grille also passed rigorous testing and quality control checks before public release. As a result, you get the same level of durability as the previous two models. The ABS plastic ensures a remarkable construction that can enduresun exposure and heat generated by the engine.
3. SNA M-Color Double Slat Gloss Black F30 Grille
- Double-slat kidney grill
- M-color package for added style
- ABS plastic with a UV coating for a long-lasting finish
The SNA M also has remarkable properties. The item closely resembles an OEM product, and it’s made of ABS plastic. You also get outer rings and grille slats with a UV finish. As a result, the product is durable, and the paint is high-quality.
The only difference between this grille and the previous model is the color. More specifically, the left grille has three slats that aren’t painted black like the rest. Instead, one of them is red, and the other two are light and dark blue, respectively.
4. BMW F30 Black Grille with Single Slats
- Single-slat style kidney grille helps retain factory looks
- Glossy black gives the car improved looks
- Excellent for owners who don’t want to alter the looks of their BMW F30 radically
Since most dual-slat grills make your F30 3-series appear more formidable, going for a single-slat might be a great option if you want to tone things down. To do so, you can again turn to SnAF and purchase this single-slat gloss black grill.
This is a robust product and features the same ABS plastics the manufacturer uses for the other items. Its durability is unquestionable, and you won’t see any chips and cracks. The grille will also outlast the models produced by different manufacturers.
Once installed, this piece will give the front end of your F30 a clean, sporty appearance. The installation is simple, and the grille will fit right into place once you remove your old one. The high-quality paint adds a lot of style to your vehicle and contains a UV finish.
Another notable advantage of getting this gloss black grille is low maintenance. You can use just about any detergent to clean the grill. This is because the risk of unwanted shine due to polishing isn’t an issue with gloss paint.
5. High Gloss Black Conversion Grille for BMW 3 Series
- A diamond pattern with aluminum bits changes the front look of the car
- Modernize your BMW F30 front looks
If you’re looking for something different from a vertical design, this grille is an excellent choice. The final entry on our list is a grille made of High-impact Polystyrene (HIPS). This material is commonly used in OEM grills. Moreover, the direct bolt-on design makes the item easy to install, and you don’t have to make any modifications to mount the ultra-light grill.
Your BMW will look much better with this model. They make a dramatic difference compared to stock chrome grills and aren’t as heavy-duty as OEM parts. So, if you’re looking to make your car look more formidable and swap out your old, damaged grill, you can’t go wrong with this product.
Compatibility & Fitment
The grilles will fit BMW F30 3-series sedans from 2012 to 2018 and F31 3-series station wagons. Compatible models include 320i, 328i, 330i, 335i, 340i and equivalent diesel models.
BMW F30 Black Grille Installation
Installing the new black grille on your F30 isn’t a complicated process. It can be done in your garage or driveway in just a few minutes. Here is what you need:
- T25 Torx bit
- T30 Torx bit
- Driver that can fit the bits
- Trim removal tool (optional)
How to install a black grille on a BMW F30:
- Pop the hood and remove the weather strip
- You’ll see six T30 bolts at the front and two T25 bolts on the sides that go into the headlights. Use the drill to take them out of their sockets.
- Once the screws are out, slide your hands under the four metal clips and slightly lift the bumper. This will give you full access to the tabs.
- Reach in and start pressing the tabs. As you’re pressing down a tab with one hand, use the other hand to apply outward pressure to ensure that the tabs don’t snap back into place. Once you get the final clip, the grille will pop right out of the car.
- Get your new grille ready for installation
- Line up all the holes and apply some pressure to put the grille in the proper position.
- Get your bumper back under the four metal clips.
- Put the T25s and T30s back into place. When reinstalling the T25s, you’ll notice a little groove around the hole where the screw sat. Make sure to line it up with the groove to ensure a clean, even gap along the bumper. Also, never tighten the screws too hard to avoid cracking the plastic on the sides.
- Screw the T30s back in. Look for the same groove where the washer sat before and line the bolts up accordingly. Again, don’t use too much pressure, or you’ll risk damaging the plastic.
- Take the weatherstripping, fold it in half to find the middle, and press it back into place.
The entire installation should take you about 10-15 minutes. But take your time and be careful not to break any clips or scratch body panels.
Does the bumper need to be removed for installation?
No, you don’t need to remove the bumper to remove the old grille. You only need to lift it slightly so that you can reach inside to remove the old grille and install the old one.
Are the grilles compatible with all bumpers?
Yes, the grilles are compatible with both regular and M-sport bumpers. You do not need to upgrade your bumper to the M-Sport for the black grille to be compatible. The above options will fit on any BMW F30 3 Series.
We highly recommend the double-slat glossy black grille option. It is a must-have accessory for any F30 owner and one of the first aesthetic mods you should consider. It changes the front-end look of the car drastically, and it’s the first step towards other aftermarket mods, such as a carbon fiber spoiler.